What increases my risk for lentigo maligna melanoma?

There are several factors, both genetic and environmental, that may put you at risk for lentigo maligna melanoma. Since lentigo maligna melanoma generally affects older people, your risk is increased if you are over the age of 50. If a family member has had melanoma, you are at a higher risk for the disease. Other genetic risk factors include having a lot of moles or having any large or irregular moles. Pregnancy and long-term use of oral contraceptives may also increase the risk for lentigo maligna melanoma, though these factors are less significant. Environmental risk factors may also affect the development of lentigo maligna melanoma. Increased sun exposure, especially prolonged exposure over many years, increases your risk. Because of this, people who live in very sunny or warm areas have a higher risk for the disease.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What is melanoma?
Dr. Arthur W. Perry, MDDr. Arthur W. Perry, MD
Melanomas are the most ominous type of skin cancer. They can grow spontaneously or can arise from mo...
How can I reduce my risk of dying from melanoma?
If you want to cut your risk of fatal melanoma, make an appointment with the mirror. Research sh...
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?