How is radiation therapy used to treat uveal melanoma?

Radiation therapy may be used to treat uveal melanoma by killing the cancerous cells. There are two types of radiation therapy: external and internal. The most common type of external radiation therapy usually involves aiming high-energy beams of radiation such as X-rays specifically at the melanoma growth to destroy the cancer. Sometimes, doctors may treat uveal melanoma with brachytherapy, or localized plaque radiation therapy, which is a type of internal radiation therapy that involves implanting a small plaque that contains radioactive "seeds" against the eye and leaving it there to deliver radiation for a few days. Generally, radiation therapy is used in conjunction with surgery to remove the tumor.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

5 Different Skin Spots and What They May Mean
The statistics on skin cancer are shocking: More than 1 in 5 Americans will develop it by age 70, and more than one person dies of skin cancer—usually...
What are the treatment options for uveal melanoma?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Treatment options for uveal melanoma depend on several factors, including the size and location of t...
How common is melanoma?
More than 53,000 people are diagnosed with melanoma every year in the United States. The number of n...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?