How is radiation therapy used to treat uveal melanoma?

Radiation therapy may be used to treat uveal melanoma by killing the cancerous cells. There are two types of radiation therapy: external and internal. The most common type of external radiation therapy usually involves aiming high-energy beams of radiation such as X-rays specifically at the melanoma growth to destroy the cancer. Sometimes, doctors may treat uveal melanoma with brachytherapy, or localized plaque radiation therapy, which is a type of internal radiation therapy that involves implanting a small plaque that contains radioactive "seeds" against the eye and leaving it there to deliver radiation for a few days. Generally, radiation therapy is used in conjunction with surgery to remove the tumor.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What is melanoma?
Dr. Arthur W. Perry, MDDr. Arthur W. Perry, MD
Melanomas are the most ominous type of skin cancer. They can grow spontaneously or can arise from mo...
Can melanoma occur on the feet?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
The last place you might think to check for a suspicious mole is the soles of your feet, but mos...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?