Can I develop melanoma on parts of my body that do not get sun?

While it's most common for melanomas to develop on areas of skin that are exposed to the sun, it's possible for them to develop in other areas. Melanoma may form in hidden areas such as under fingernails or toenails and on the bottom of the feet. It's also possible to develop melanoma in your eye, which is usually discovered during an eye exam since it generally has no symptoms. Other less common forms of melanoma, called mucosal melanoma, can develop anywhere in the body that's lined with mucous membranes, such as in the mouth, esophagus, urinary tract, and anus. Doctors are trained to look for melanomas in these areas, but talk to your doctor if you have any concerns or symptoms that you think may be caused by melanoma.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Know Before You Go: Skin Biopsy
Know Before You Go: Skin Biopsy
More people are diagnosed with skin cancer each year than all other cancers combined. But despite being so common, it’s also the most treatable cancer...
Can children get melanoma?
Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MDDr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
Unfortunately, even childhood melanoma can occur and is on the Rise. This may be associated with a d...
Can melanoma occur on the feet?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
The last place you might think to check for a suspicious mole is the soles of your feet, but mos...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?