Can I develop melanoma on parts of my body that do not get sun?

While it's most common for melanomas to develop on areas of skin that are exposed to the sun, it's possible for them to develop in other areas. Melanoma may form in hidden areas such as under fingernails or toenails and on the bottom of the feet. It's also possible to develop melanoma in your eye, which is usually discovered during an eye exam since it generally has no symptoms. Other less common forms of melanoma, called mucosal melanoma, can develop anywhere in the body that's lined with mucous membranes, such as in the mouth, esophagus, urinary tract, and anus. Doctors are trained to look for melanomas in these areas, but talk to your doctor if you have any concerns or symptoms that you think may be caused by melanoma.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Will melanoma surgery leave a scar?
Jill Onesti, MDJill Onesti, MD
Melanoma surgery does leave a scar. Treatment of the original lesion on the skin consists of a "wide...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with melanoma?
If you are caring for someone with melanoma, it is very important to help that person follow medical...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?