How do medications treat soft tissue melanoma?

Most of the time, medications that treat soft tissue melanoma are used in chemotherapy. In chemotherapy, strong drugs are either taken by mouth or injected into the veins to enter the bloodstream and kill cancerous cells. This is an especially useful treatment for cancer that has started to spread throughout the body. Chemotherapy is usually used either before or after the tumor has been surgically removed. Doctors may choose to use one or a combination of drugs during chemotherapy treatment. Many of these treatments are still being tested, so talk to your doctor about the options.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Does Where You Live Affect Your Melanoma Risk?
Worried about skin cancer? If you’re debating whether to wear a hat or apply sunscreen before heading outside—go ahead and do it. A 2020 study in the ...
Can I develop melanoma on parts of my body that do not get sun?
While it's most common for melanomas to develop on areas of skin that are exposed to the sun, it's p...
What is melanoma?
Melanoma is the least common but most aggressive of the three most common types of skin cancer. Mela...
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?