Is uveal melanoma serious?

Depending on its location, uveal melanoma can be very serious if it's not detected and treated in its early stages. When detected early, tumors can be surgically removed, and that generally will get rid of the cancer without impacting your vision too much. However, once the tumor has grown or the disease has spread to other parts of the eye, it's much more challenging to treat. More severe uveal melanoma may result in a loss of vision and may require surgical removal of the entire eye or other intensive treatments. Once uveal melanoma progresses far enough, it can spread to other parts of the body and become fatal. Because of this, it's very important to see a doctor if you notice any unusual changes in vision, since the chance for a full recovery is better if you catch uveal melanoma early.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What is the survival rate for melanoma of the foot?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Since melanoma of the foot is usually noticed late by patients, and more likely to be misdiagnos...
What are my chances of surviving melanoma?
Jill Onesti, MDJill Onesti, MD
The chance of surviving melanoma depends on how early the melanoma is discovered. Thin melanomas, ty...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?