Is soft tissue melanoma serious?

Soft tissue melanoma is serious because it's a pretty aggressive form of cancer. This means that soft tissue melanoma (also known as malignant melanoma of soft parts, or clear cell sarcoma) can spread throughout the body very quickly if left untreated. Like other melanomas, it often spreads to the lymph nodes, and like other sarcomas, it can spread to other body parts, most commonly the lungs and bones. Even if it's treated, it has a high recurrence rate, meaning it's likely to come back after treatment. Because it's so aggressive, it's important to see a doctor as soon as you notice symptoms. The earlier you're treated, the more likely treatment will be successful.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What is amelanotic melanoma?
Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MDDr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
Amelanotic melanoma often appears as a lesion without color, irregular borders, and a small amount o...
What is the survival rate for melanoma of the foot?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Since melanoma of the foot is usually noticed late by patients, and more likely to be misdiagnos...
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?