Is polypoid melanoma serious?

Polypoid melanoma is considered one of the most malignant forms of melanoma, meaning it's quite serious. This is because it's very aggressive, invades deep into the skin, and has a higher chance of cancerous cells breaking off and spreading throughout the body. Polypoid melanoma usually isn't diagnosed till it's pretty well-advanced, because the growths expand deep into the skin instead of growing wider across the skin's surface, so many people don't think it's problematic. Sometimes, growths may not be pigmented, which also leads people to believe that they're not serious problems. The combination of a lack of early diagnosis and the fact that the disease progresses very rapidly makes polypoid melanoma quite serious. The five-year survival rate for polypoid melanoma is about 42%, meaning that after treatment, only 42% of people with polypoid melanoma are alive five years after diagnosis. See your doctor right away if you notice any symptoms.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What is melanoma?
Dr. Arthur W. Perry, MDDr. Arthur W. Perry, MD
Melanomas are the most ominous type of skin cancer. They can grow spontaneously or can arise from mo...
How can I reduce my risk of dying from melanoma?
If you want to cut your risk of fatal melanoma, make an appointment with the mirror. Research sh...
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?