Is mucosal melanoma serious?

Because mucosal melanoma isn't usually diagnosed until the disease is pretty advanced, this form of melanoma is quite serious. Often, mucosal melanoma displays no noticeable symptoms until it's very well-advanced. Another reason that many mucosal melanomas go undiagnosed is because the noticeable symptoms often resemble those of other less-serious conditions. If mucosal melanoma is detected early, the cancerous growth may be surgically removed or treated successfully with chemotherapy. However, once the cancer has spread throughout the body, it may not be possible to completely get rid of it and it may become fatal.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

How can I reduce my risk of dying from melanoma?
If you want to cut your risk of fatal melanoma, make an appointment with the mirror. Research sh...
Why is melanoma the most common form of cancer in young adults?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Melanoma is the most common form of cancer in people aged 25 to 29 and second (to Hodgkin's lymphoma...
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?