Is mucosal melanoma serious?

Because mucosal melanoma isn't usually diagnosed until the disease is pretty advanced, this form of melanoma is quite serious. Often, mucosal melanoma displays no noticeable symptoms until it's very well-advanced. Another reason that many mucosal melanomas go undiagnosed is because the noticeable symptoms often resemble those of other less-serious conditions. If mucosal melanoma is detected early, the cancerous growth may be surgically removed or treated successfully with chemotherapy. However, once the cancer has spread throughout the body, it may not be possible to completely get rid of it and it may become fatal.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Regular Doctor Visits May Help You Survive Skin Cancer
You may be able to outlive melanoma—the most serious type of skin cancer—by doing one simple thing: seeing your doctor regularly. Find top doctors in...
How often should I have my skin checked for melanoma?
Alice DomarAlice Domar
There is no good data proving that skin checks reduce the risk of death by melanoma, so whether ...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with melanoma?
If you are caring for someone with melanoma, it is very important to help that person follow medical...
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?