Is amelanotic melanoma serious?

Amelanotic melanoma is a relatively serious form of melanoma because it's usually not caught till it's pretty well advanced. When detected early, the cancerous growth may be successfully removed through surgery. However, amelanotic melanoma usually isn't diagnosed till later, because the growths are often unnoticed, or people assume that the growths aren't serious, since they're flesh-colored. This is especially problematic because the disease can progress pretty quickly. The combination of a lack of early diagnosis and a quick progression makes amelanotic melanoma relatively serious. See your doctor right away if you notice any suspicious symptoms.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Hugh Jackman Skin Cancer Scare: “Get Yourself Checked!”
You may have seen the picture Hugh Jackman posted of himself on Instagram with a bandage over his nose. Movie stunt gone wrong? Far from it -- it’s a...
How does melanoma spread?
Ross M. Levy, MDRoss M. Levy, MD
The ability of a melanoma to spread is dependent on a number of factors, some of which we know a...
What is melanoma?
Melanoma is the least common but most aggressive of the three most common types of skin cancer. Mela...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?