Is desmoplastic melanoma serious?

In the past, it was thought that desmoplastic melanoma was much more serious than other types of melanoma. Although it is definitely a serious form of melanoma, desmoplastic melanoma is not necessarily as serious as was once assumed. What makes desmoplastic melanoma serious is the combination of its seemingly-harmless symptoms and its rapid growth. The growths are often unnoticed, or people assume that the growths aren't serious, since they're often flesh-colored. To make matters more complicated, desmoplastic melanoma often spreads deep into the skin relatively quickly, and it has a high rate of recurrence, which means it can come back even after it's treated. For the best chances of a successful treatment, see your doctor right away if you notice any symptoms.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Can children get melanoma?
Jill Onesti, MDJill Onesti, MD
It is very rare for children to develop melanoma, however it is possible. If you have a family histo...
What are my chances of surviving melanoma?
Jill Onesti, MDJill Onesti, MD
The chance of surviving melanoma depends on how early the melanoma is discovered. Thin melanomas, ty...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?