What increases my risk for soft tissue melanoma?

Because so little is known about its causes, there aren't many known risk factors for soft tissue melanoma. Unlike other types of melanoma, this type of cancer (also known as clear cell sarcoma) is not related to sun exposure. There's also not much evidence that soft tissue melanoma runs in families, so family history of cancer isn't necessarily a risk factor.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What You Need to Know About Skin Cancer
What You Need to Know About Skin Cancer
Skin cancer is the most common type of cancer in the United States and the most treatable, if caught early. There are several types of skin cancer. We...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with melanoma?
If you are caring for someone with melanoma, it is very important to help that person follow medical...
How does melanoma spread?
Ross M. Levy, MDRoss M. Levy, MD
The ability of a melanoma to spread is dependent on a number of factors, some of which we know a...
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?