How does uveal melanoma affect the body?

Uveal melanoma is generally caused by the overproduction of certain cells called melanocytes, which produce the colored pigment in your eyes. This cell overgrowth starts on the uveal tract, which is the middle layer of your eye. The uveal tract includes the iris (the colored part of your eye), the ciliary body (a ring of muscle that adjusts the size of your pupil), and the choroid (the layer of blood vessels that surrounds your eye). Uveal melanoma can affect any of those parts, but it most commonly begins in the choroid. If the cancerous growth gets large enough, it can spread to other parts of the eye and may even spread throughout the body.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Why is melanoma the most common form of cancer in young adults?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Melanoma is the most common form of cancer in people aged 25 to 29 and second (to Hodgkin's lymphoma...
What is malignant melanoma?
By far the deadliest form of skin cancer, malignant melanoma begins in the melanocytes, the cell...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?