How does uveal melanoma affect the body?

Uveal melanoma is generally caused by the overproduction of certain cells called melanocytes, which produce the colored pigment in your eyes. This cell overgrowth starts on the uveal tract, which is the middle layer of your eye. The uveal tract includes the iris (the colored part of your eye), the ciliary body (a ring of muscle that adjusts the size of your pupil), and the choroid (the layer of blood vessels that surrounds your eye). Uveal melanoma can affect any of those parts, but it most commonly begins in the choroid. If the cancerous growth gets large enough, it can spread to other parts of the eye and may even spread throughout the body.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Hugh Jackman Skin Cancer Scare: “Get Yourself Checked!”
You may have seen the picture Hugh Jackman posted of himself on Instagram with a bandage over his nose. Movie stunt gone wrong? Far from it -- it’s a...
Can melanoma occur on the feet?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
The last place you might think to check for a suspicious mole is the soles of your feet, but mos...
Can I develop melanoma on parts of my body that do not get sun?
While it's most common for melanomas to develop on areas of skin that are exposed to the sun, it's p...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?