How should I check my skin for melanoma?

It's best to conduct a melanoma self-exam monthly. This includes checking your entire body. Even if areas of your body are usually not in sunlight, it does not mean those areas are free from moles or other skin changes. Here are guidelines for how to check your body from top to bottom:
  • Use a mirror.
  • Check your head and face. Use a blow dryer to aid in checking your scalp.
  • Check hands, arms, elbows, and underarms.
  • Check your neck, chest, and torso. Women should lift and check under their breasts.
  • Check the back of your neck, back, buttocks, and legs.
  • Check legs and feet (including bottoms of feet).
  • Sitting down, use a mirror to examine genitals.
  • Look for darkening of fingernails and/or toenails.
  • Ask your doctor to assess your skin for melanoma during routine exams.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Got Ulcerative Colitis? Make Sure to Protect Your Skin
As if dealing with diarrhea, stomach pain and fatigue wasn’t hard enough, there’s another major concern for people with ulcerative colitis, a type of ...
Where does melanoma occur?
Jenny C. Hu, MDJenny C. Hu, MD
Men tend to get melanomas on the trunk, back and chest areas. Women tend to get melanomas on the leg...
What is the survival rate for melanoma of the foot?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Since melanoma of the foot is usually noticed late by patients, and more likely to be misdiagnos...
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?