How can I reduce my risk of dying from melanoma?

If you want to cut your risk of fatal melanoma, make an appointment with the mirror. Research shows that people who regularly check themselves for suspicious skin changes are 44% less likely to die from melanoma than those who do not check. One study found that nearly 75% of all incident melanomas were discovered by self-exam or by family members. Because melanoma becomes more dangerous the thicker it grows above and below the skin surface, early detection of melanoma is essential to survival.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

How are melanoma cells different from other cancer cells?
Philip A. Friedlander, MDPhilip A. Friedlander, MD
Melanoma cells can be hard to eradicate—and even after successful treatment, risk of recurrence rema...
What is the survival rate for melanoma of the foot?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Since melanoma of the foot is usually noticed late by patients, and more likely to be misdiagnos...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?