How can I reduce my risk of dying from melanoma?

If you want to cut your risk of fatal melanoma, make an appointment with the mirror. Research shows that people who regularly check themselves for suspicious skin changes are 44% less likely to die from melanoma than those who do not check. One study found that nearly 75% of all incident melanomas were discovered by self-exam or by family members. Because melanoma becomes more dangerous the thicker it grows above and below the skin surface, early detection of melanoma is essential to survival.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Regular Doctor Visits May Help You Survive Skin Cancer
You may be able to outlive melanoma—the most serious type of skin cancer—by doing one simple thing: seeing your doctor regularly. Find top doctors in...
How common is melanoma?
More than 53,000 people are diagnosed with melanoma every year in the United States. The number of n...
Can children get melanoma?
Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MDDr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
Unfortunately, even childhood melanoma can occur and is on the Rise. This may be associated with a d...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?