How can I protect my children from melanoma?

Steps toward preventing melanoma should begin in early childhood. Because children often spend so much time outdoors, they often are exposed to a lot of sunlight and UV rays, which has been linked to melanoma. It's very important to apply sunscreen on your children's exposed skin 20 to 30 minutes before they go outside. Also, be sure to frequently reapply sunscreen, especially if your children are swimming. If possible, it's best to keep your children out of the sun when its rays are strongest, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Children should also wear hats and protective clothing when they're outside, especially if they're fair-skinned. Since babies' skin is so sensitive, be sure to take extra precautions when your baby is outside.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Ask the Expert: Breaking Down SPF
Ask the Expert: Breaking Down SPF
We all know that wearing sunscreen is one of the best ways to protect ourselves from skin cancer, especially if we’re headed out for a long day in the...
What are the symptoms of melanoma?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Symptoms of melanoma are growths on the skin. These growths usually appear as a change in a mole tha...
What are my chances of surviving melanoma?
Dr. Philip A. Friedlander, MDDr. Philip A. Friedlander, MD
For stage IV metastatic melanoma, life expectancy is around 8 to 10 months. In this video, Philip Fr...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?