How can I help prevent the skin cancer, melanoma?

Did you know that five or more severe sunburns before age 20 increases your lifelong risk of developing melanoma? Melanoma is one of the three most common types of skin cancer -- and the deadliest. To protect your skin, use sunblock year 'round, but especially from May through October. During those warm-weather months you typically wear less protective clothing and the sun is quite strong during daytime hours. Remember to apply lotion to your face and all exposed skin. Don’t forget that your scalp, ears and nose are particularly vulnerable; consider wearing a hat for added protection. Finally, get a yearly head-to-toe skin check with a board-certified dermatologist, especially if you've had blistering or serious sunburns in the past.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

How does melanoma affect the body?
Jill Onesti, MDJill Onesti, MD
Melanoma is a cancer that begins in the skin. If caught at an early stage, removal of the melanoma c...
What are the treatment options for stage 4 melanoma?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Treatment for stage 4 melanoma is usually more aggressive than earlier stages, because the cancer ha...
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?