How does polypoid melanoma affect the body?

The cause of polypoid melanoma is thought to be tied to the overproduction of certain skin cells called melanocytes, which are the cells that produce skin pigment. This cell overproduction usually leads to a new skin growth that appears out of nowhere. Generally, these growths are found on the torso, though they can form anywhere on the body, including mucous membranes. Polypoid melanoma lesions are usually very thick, dome-shaped, and may be a variety of colors ranging from black to completely colorless. Polypoid melanoma progresses very quickly, and if it's not diagnosed very early, the cancer can spread rapidly through the skin to other parts of the body.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Can melanoma occur on the feet?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
The last place you might think to check for a suspicious mole is the soles of your feet, but mos...
Can I develop melanoma on parts of my body that do not get sun?
While it's most common for melanomas to develop on areas of skin that are exposed to the sun, it's p...
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?