How does polypoid melanoma affect the body?

The cause of polypoid melanoma is thought to be tied to the overproduction of certain skin cells called melanocytes, which are the cells that produce skin pigment. This cell overproduction usually leads to a new skin growth that appears out of nowhere. Generally, these growths are found on the torso, though they can form anywhere on the body, including mucous membranes. Polypoid melanoma lesions are usually very thick, dome-shaped, and may be a variety of colors ranging from black to completely colorless. Polypoid melanoma progresses very quickly, and if it's not diagnosed very early, the cancer can spread rapidly through the skin to other parts of the body.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Tell Me Why ... My Mole Grew Back
Tell Me Why ... My Mole Grew Back
People get moles removed for a handful of reasons. Sometimes it’s purely cosmetic, other times it’s because the mole shows signs of potential skin can...
What is melanoma?
Melanoma is the least common but most aggressive of the three most common types of skin cancer. Mela...
How are melanoma cells different from other cancer cells?
Philip A. Friedlander, MDPhilip A. Friedlander, MD
Melanoma cells can be hard to eradicate—and even after successful treatment, risk of recurrence rema...
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?