How does nodular melanoma affect the body?

The cause of nodular melanoma is thought to be tied to the overproduction of certain skin cells called melanocytes, which are the cells that produce skin pigment. This cell overgrowth usually starts as a new skin growth that appears out of nowhere. Generally, these growths are found on the head, neck and torso, though they can form anywhere on the body. Nodular melanoma lesions are usually dome-shaped and may be a variety of colors ranging from black to completely colorless. Nodular melanoma progresses very quickly, and if it's not diagnosed very early, the cancer can spread rapidly through the skin to other parts of the body

Continue Learning about Melanoma

How common is melanoma?
Jenny C. Hu, MDJenny C. Hu, MD
About one American dies of melanoma almost every hour, and one in 69 people will be diagnosed with t...
How are melanoma cells different from other cancer cells?
Philip A. Friedlander, MDPhilip A. Friedlander, MD
Melanoma cells can be hard to eradicate—and even after successful treatment, risk of recurrence rema...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?