How does mucosal melanoma affect the body?

Mucosal melanoma is caused by the overproduction of certain skin cells called melanocytes, which are the cells that produce skin pigment. Unlike other melanoma, mucosal melanoma is found in the body's mucous membranes, which are not exposed to sunlight. The most commonly-affected areas are the inside of the mouth and nose, but mucosal melanoma can also affect the female genitalia, urinary tract, anus, and esophagus. Because it occurs in areas that aren't easily seen, mucosal melanoma is usually very far-advanced by the time it's diagnosed, and it may spread throughout the body by the time symptoms occur.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What do I need to know about caring for someone with melanoma?
If you are caring for someone with melanoma, it is very important to help that person follow medical...
Will melanoma surgery leave a scar?
Jill Onesti, MDJill Onesti, MD
Melanoma surgery does leave a scar. Treatment of the original lesion on the skin consists of a "wide...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?