How does mucosal melanoma affect the body?

Mucosal melanoma is caused by the overproduction of certain skin cells called melanocytes, which are the cells that produce skin pigment. Unlike other melanoma, mucosal melanoma is found in the body's mucous membranes, which are not exposed to sunlight. The most commonly-affected areas are the inside of the mouth and nose, but mucosal melanoma can also affect the female genitalia, urinary tract, anus, and esophagus. Because it occurs in areas that aren't easily seen, mucosal melanoma is usually very far-advanced by the time it's diagnosed, and it may spread throughout the body by the time symptoms occur.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Know Before You Go: Skin Biopsy
Know Before You Go: Skin Biopsy
More people are diagnosed with skin cancer each year than all other cancers combined. But despite being so common, it’s also the most treatable cancer...
Is melanoma serious?
Melanoma can be very serious if it's not detected and treated in its early stages. When detected ear...
What are the treatment options for stage 4 melanoma?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Treatment for stage 4 melanoma is usually more aggressive than earlier stages, because the cancer ha...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?