How do medications treat uveal melanoma?

Medications are not generally used as a primary treatment for uveal melanoma. Instead, surgical removal of the tumor or, in some cases, the entire eye and surrounding nerves, is the most common treatment. Other treatment may include radiation or other therapies that work to kill the cancerous cells. Chemotherapy, which uses drugs to kill cancerous cells, usually isn't used for uveal melanoma.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Why is melanoma the most common form of cancer in young adults?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Melanoma is the most common form of cancer in people aged 25 to 29 and second (to Hodgkin's lymphoma...
What is amelanotic melanoma?
Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MDDr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
Amelanotic melanoma often appears as a lesion without color, irregular borders, and a small amount o...
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?