How do medications treat uveal melanoma?

Medications are not generally used as a primary treatment for uveal melanoma. Instead, surgical removal of the tumor or, in some cases, the entire eye and surrounding nerves, is the most common treatment. Other treatment may include radiation or other therapies that work to kill the cancerous cells. Chemotherapy, which uses drugs to kill cancerous cells, usually isn't used for uveal melanoma.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Regular Doctor Visits May Help You Survive Skin Cancer
You may be able to outlive melanoma—the most serious type of skin cancer—by doing one simple thing: seeing your doctor regularly. Find top doctors in...
Can I develop melanoma on parts of my body that do not get sun?
While it's most common for melanomas to develop on areas of skin that are exposed to the sun, it's p...
What is the survival rate for melanoma of the foot?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Since melanoma of the foot is usually noticed late by patients, and more likely to be misdiagnos...
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?