How do medications treat polypoid melanoma?

If medications are used to treat polypoid melanoma, it's usually as a second line of treatment. Usually, surgical removal of the skin growth and surrounding tissue is the primary treatment. After surgery, doctors may decide to use medications in the form of chemotherapy to treat for later stages of the cancer. Chemotherapy medications are strong drugs taken orally or intravenously to help kill cancerous cells that may have spread throughout the body.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

How does melanoma spread?
Ross M. Levy, MDRoss M. Levy, MD
The ability of a melanoma to spread is dependent on a number of factors, some of which we know a...
What are my chances of surviving melanoma?
Jill Onesti, MDJill Onesti, MD
The chance of surviving melanoma depends on how early the melanoma is discovered. Thin melanomas, ty...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?