How do medications treat nodular melanoma?

If medications are used to treat nodular melanoma, it is usually as a second line of treatment. Usually, surgical removal of the skin growth and surrounding tissue is the first treatment. After surgery, doctors may decide to use medications in the form of chemotherapy to treat later stages of the cancer. Chemotherapy medications are strong drugs taken orally or intravenously to help kill cancer cells that may have spread throughout the body.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

How does melanoma spread?
Ross M. Levy, MDRoss M. Levy, MD
The ability of a melanoma to spread is dependent on a number of factors, some of which we know a...
Is melanoma serious?
Melanoma can be very serious if it's not detected and treated in its early stages. When detected ear...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?