How do medications treat desmoplastic melanoma?

Medications aren't usually a treatment option for desmoplastic melanoma unless the cancer has advanced quite far. Usually, desmoplastic melanoma is treated with surgery to remove the skin growth and surrounding tissue. If the cancer has spread, doctors may decide to use medications in the form of chemotherapy to treat later stages of desmoplastic melanoma. Chemotherapy medications are strong drugs taken orally or intravenously to help kill cancerous cells that may have spread throughout the body.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

5 Different Skin Spots and What They May Mean
The statistics on skin cancer are shocking: More than 1 in 5 Americans will develop it by age 70, and more than one person dies of skin cancer—usually...
Can melanoma occur on the feet?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
The last place you might think to check for a suspicious mole is the soles of your feet, but mos...
What are the treatment options for stage 4 melanoma?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Treatment for stage 4 melanoma is usually more aggressive than earlier stages, because the cancer ha...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?