How do medications treat desmoplastic melanoma?

Medications aren't usually a treatment option for desmoplastic melanoma unless the cancer has advanced quite far. Usually, desmoplastic melanoma is treated with surgery to remove the skin growth and surrounding tissue. If the cancer has spread, doctors may decide to use medications in the form of chemotherapy to treat later stages of desmoplastic melanoma. Chemotherapy medications are strong drugs taken orally or intravenously to help kill cancerous cells that may have spread throughout the body.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Can melanoma occur on the feet?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
The last place you might think to check for a suspicious mole is the soles of your feet, but mos...
How often should I have my skin checked for melanoma?
Alice DomarAlice Domar
There is no good data proving that skin checks reduce the risk of death by melanoma, so whether ...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?