How do medications treat amelanotic melanoma?

Medications aren't generally used as a first line of treatment for amelanotic melanoma. Usually, amelanotic melanoma is treated with surgery to remove the skin growth and surrounding tissue. If the cancer has spread, doctors may decide to use medications in the form of chemotherapy to treat later stages of amelanotic melanoma. Chemotherapy medications are strong drugs taken orally or intravenously to help kill cancerous cells that may have spread throughout the body. Newer drugs such as vemurafenib and dabrafenib are personalized medicines that block the mutated BRAF gene in melanoma. Another treatment, immunotherapy, involves drugs called checkpoint inhibitors that can block the molecule cytotoxic T-lymphocyte antigen and help the immune system target cancer cells.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What are the different types of melanoma?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
The most common form of melanoma is superficial spreading. It represents 70% of all cases as it spre...
How can I reduce my risk of dying from melanoma?
If you want to cut your risk of fatal melanoma, make an appointment with the mirror. Research sh...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?