How do medications treat acral lentiginous melanoma?

Usually, surgical removal of the growth and surrounding tissue is the primary treatment for acral lentiginous melanoma. After surgery, doctors may decide to use medications in the form of chemotherapy to treat later stages of the cancer. Chemotherapy medications are strong drugs taken orally or intravenously to help kill cancerous cells that may have spread throughout the body. Immunotherapy, which uses man-made antibodies like ipilimumab to help the immune system destroy cancer cells, has shown a great deal of promise for melanoma; it is usually administered by IV. 

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Tell Me Why ... My Mole Grew Back
Tell Me Why ... My Mole Grew Back
People get moles removed for a handful of reasons. Sometimes it’s purely cosmetic, other times it’s because the mole shows signs of potential skin can...
What determines how deep melanoma is?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
The Clark levels are used to describe how deep the melanoma has spread into the skin:     • Lev...
What is melanoma?
Melanoma is the least common but most aggressive of the three most common types of skin cancer. Mela...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?