How do medications treat acral lentiginous melanoma?

Usually, surgical removal of the growth and surrounding tissue is the primary treatment for acral lentiginous melanoma. After surgery, doctors may decide to use medications in the form of chemotherapy to treat later stages of the cancer. Chemotherapy medications are strong drugs taken orally or intravenously to help kill cancerous cells that may have spread throughout the body. Immunotherapy, which uses man-made antibodies like ipilimumab to help the immune system destroy cancer cells, has shown a great deal of promise for melanoma; it is usually administered by IV. 

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What do I need to know about caring for someone with melanoma?
If you are caring for someone with melanoma, it is very important to help that person follow medical...
What is amelanotic melanoma?
Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MDDr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
Amelanotic melanoma often appears as a lesion without color, irregular borders, and a small amount o...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?