How do I manage my uveal melanoma on a daily basis?

If you have uveal melanoma, it's very important to follow treatment advice from your doctors. This may include surgery or therapies like radiation or photocoagulation. If treatment involves removing your eye, it can have a significant impact on your daily life. Your vision and balance may be affected, and it will affect your appearance, too. Talk to your doctor about ways that you might be able to improve your appearance, such as getting an artificial eye or a facial prosthesis. This kind of treatment can cause emotional and mental distress, so make sure you take advantage of resources like support groups or counseling if it helps you. Treatment may also include "watchful waiting," which involves no medical intervention other than monitoring your tumor. In those cases-and in all cases of uveal melanoma-you must follow up frequently with your doctor to make sure the melanoma hasn't spread.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What determines how deep melanoma is?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
The Clark levels are used to describe how deep the melanoma has spread into the skin:     • Lev...
How does melanoma spread?
Ross M. Levy, MDRoss M. Levy, MD
The ability of a melanoma to spread is dependent on a number of factors, some of which we know a...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?