How does lentigo maligna melanoma affect the body?

Lentigo maligna melanoma is caused by the overproduction of certain skin cells called melanocytes, which are the cells that produce skin pigment. This cell overgrowth usually forms on areas of skin that are exposed to sunlight, most commonly the nose and cheeks but also anywhere on the head and neck. The lesions caused by lentigo maligna melanoma look like large, flat, irregularly-shaped tan patches. Lentigo maligna melanoma begins in the epidermis, or topmost layer of skin, and usually spread across the skin's surface. If left untreated, lentigo maligna melanoma may spread deeper into the skin and may eventually spread to other parts of the body.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Tell Me Why ... My Mole Grew Back
Tell Me Why ... My Mole Grew Back
People get moles removed for a handful of reasons. Sometimes it’s purely cosmetic, other times it’s because the mole shows signs of potential skin can...
How are melanoma cells different from other cancer cells?
Philip A. Friedlander, MDPhilip A. Friedlander, MD
Melanoma cells can be hard to eradicate—and even after successful treatment, risk of recurrence rema...
Where does melanoma occur?
Jenny C. Hu, MDJenny C. Hu, MD
Men tend to get melanomas on the trunk, back and chest areas. Women tend to get melanomas on the leg...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?