How is uveal melanoma diagnosed?

Usually, eye doctors (ophthalmologists or optometrists) will first diagnose uveal melanoma. Sometimes, especially if people don't notice any symptoms, the melanoma may be found when a doctor dilates the pupil during a regular eye exam and looks into the inside of the eye using a narrow beam of light. Other procedures such as indirect ophthalmoscopy (using a magnifying lens to look at the inside of the eye) and transillumination (using a light on the eyelid to examine the eye) may be used. Scans such as ultrasounds or CT scans may also be used to produce images of the eye's internal structure.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

How often should I have my skin checked for melanoma?
Alice DomarAlice Domar
There is no good data proving that skin checks reduce the risk of death by melanoma, so whether ...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with melanoma?
If you are caring for someone with melanoma, it is very important to help that person follow medical...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?