How is nodular melanoma diagnosed?

The first step of diagnosing nodular melanoma usually involves a visual inspection. Nodular melanoma is often diagnosed later than other types of melanoma because it takes longer for a person to notice the symptoms, since the growths typically spread deeper into the skin rather than wider across the skin. A doctor will first look at the growth and, if nodular melanoma is suspected, perform a biopsy. This procedure involves removing all or part of the growth and analyzing it under a microscope.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Hugh Jackman Skin Cancer Scare: “Get Yourself Checked!”
You may have seen the picture Hugh Jackman posted of himself on Instagram with a bandage over his nose. Movie stunt gone wrong? Far from it -- it’s a...
What is the survival rate for melanoma of the foot?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Since melanoma of the foot is usually noticed late by patients, and more likely to be misdiagnos...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with melanoma?
If you are caring for someone with melanoma, it is very important to help that person follow medical...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?