How is nodular melanoma diagnosed?

The first step of diagnosing nodular melanoma usually involves a visual inspection. Nodular melanoma is often diagnosed later than other types of melanoma because it takes longer for a person to notice the symptoms, since the growths typically spread deeper into the skin rather than wider across the skin. A doctor will first look at the growth and, if nodular melanoma is suspected, perform a biopsy. This procedure involves removing all or part of the growth and analyzing it under a microscope.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Can melanoma occur on the feet?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
The last place you might think to check for a suspicious mole is the soles of your feet, but mos...
Where does melanoma occur?
Peter C. Fisher, MDPeter C. Fisher, MD
The most deadly form of skin cancer is melanoma. In men, it is seen most commonly on the belly (abdo...
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?