How is mucosal melanoma diagnosed?

Diagnosing mucosal melanoma may be difficult because symptoms aren't usually visible. By the time any symptoms are noticed, the cancer is usually quite advanced. Generally, mucosal melanoma is found during routine check-ups from specialists such as dentists and gynecologists. If the doctor suspects melanoma, a biopsy may be performed, which involves removing the suspected growth and analyzing it under a microscope. Doctors may also biopsy the nearby lymph nodes to see whether the mucosal melanoma has spread.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What is malignant melanoma?
By far the deadliest form of skin cancer, malignant melanoma begins in the melanocytes, the cell...
What are the different types of melanoma?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
The most common form of melanoma is superficial spreading. It represents 70% of all cases as it spre...
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?