How is amelanotic melanoma diagnosed?

Amelanotic melanoma is often quite difficult to diagnose because its symptoms may not be noticeable or alarming, and the noticeable symptoms may resemble those of other conditions. Many times, the disease isn't diagnosed till very late stages because the non-pigmented or flesh-colored growths don't "look cancerous." Once noticed, the first step of diagnosing amelanotic melanoma usually involves a visual inspection. A doctor will visually examine the growth, and if amelanotic melanoma is suspected, a biopsy will usually be performed. This procedure involves removing all or part of the growth and analyzing it under a microscope.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

How does melanoma affect the body?
Jill Onesti, MDJill Onesti, MD
Melanoma is a cancer that begins in the skin. If caught at an early stage, removal of the melanoma c...
What are the different types of melanoma?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
The most common form of melanoma is superficial spreading. It represents 70% of all cases as it spre...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?