How is amelanotic melanoma diagnosed?

Amelanotic melanoma is often quite difficult to diagnose because its symptoms may not be noticeable or alarming, and the noticeable symptoms may resemble those of other conditions. Many times, the disease isn't diagnosed till very late stages because the non-pigmented or flesh-colored growths don't "look cancerous." Once noticed, the first step of diagnosing amelanotic melanoma usually involves a visual inspection. A doctor will visually examine the growth, and if amelanotic melanoma is suspected, a biopsy will usually be performed. This procedure involves removing all or part of the growth and analyzing it under a microscope.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Know the Signs: Skin Cancer
Know the Signs: Skin Cancer
Despite better screening methods, more public awareness and more advanced treatments, the rates of skin cancer continue to rise. It’s been estimated ...
Why is melanoma the most common form of cancer in young adults?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Melanoma is the most common form of cancer in people aged 25 to 29 and second (to Hodgkin's lymphoma...
Can children get melanoma?
Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MDDr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
Unfortunately, even childhood melanoma can occur and is on the Rise. This may be associated with a d...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?