How is desmoplastic melanoma diagnosed?

Desmoplastic melanoma is often quite difficult to diagnose because its symptoms may not be noticeable or alarming, and the noticeable symptoms may resemble those of other conditions. The first step of diagnosing desmoplastic melanoma usually involves a visual inspection. A doctor will first visually examine the growth, and if desmoplastic melanoma is suspected, a biopsy will usually be performed. This procedure involves removing all or part of the growth and analyzing it under a microscope. However, a microscopic analysis may not always differentiate desmoplastic melanoma from other similar conditions, so talk to your doctor about options for diagnosing your condition.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What determines how deep melanoma is?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
The Clark levels are used to describe how deep the melanoma has spread into the skin:     • Lev...
How can I reduce my risk of dying from melanoma?
If you want to cut your risk of fatal melanoma, make an appointment with the mirror. Research sh...
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?