How is desmoplastic melanoma diagnosed?

Desmoplastic melanoma is often quite difficult to diagnose because its symptoms may not be noticeable or alarming, and the noticeable symptoms may resemble those of other conditions. The first step of diagnosing desmoplastic melanoma usually involves a visual inspection. A doctor will first visually examine the growth, and if desmoplastic melanoma is suspected, a biopsy will usually be performed. This procedure involves removing all or part of the growth and analyzing it under a microscope. However, a microscopic analysis may not always differentiate desmoplastic melanoma from other similar conditions, so talk to your doctor about options for diagnosing your condition.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Want the Best Sunscreen? What You Need to Know
Summer's here. And who isn't cheering? But before you spin vintage Beach Boys vinyl or park your towel in a sunny spot, we have a public service annou...
What are my chances of surviving melanoma?
Dr. Philip A. Friedlander, MDDr. Philip A. Friedlander, MD
For stage IV metastatic melanoma, life expectancy is around 8 to 10 months. In this video, Philip Fr...
What is amelanotic melanoma?
Amelanotic melanoma is a type of melanoma, which is a skin cancer. Like most melanomas, amelanotic m...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?