How does desmoplastic melanoma affect the body?

Desmoplastic melanoma begins with the overproduction of certain skin cells called melanocytes, which are the cells that produce skin pigment. This cell overgrowth usually leads to a new skin growth that appears out of nowhere. Even though the affected cells produce pigment, these growths may not have any pigment at all, or the pigment may cause it to have a splotchy color. Generally, these growths are found on the head and neck, though they can form anywhere on the body. Desmoplastic melanoma lesions are usually elevated above the rest of the skin, and they often grow very deep into the skin rather than covering a wide area of skin. If left untreated, desmoplastic melanoma may spread to other areas of the body relatively quickly.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Where You’re Not Applying Sunscreen—But Should
Think you’re covered when it comes to sunscreen? Surprise: most of us aren’t using it appropriately. One study showed that most people apply only 25-5...
Can I develop melanoma on parts of my body that do not get sun?
While it's most common for melanomas to develop on areas of skin that are exposed to the sun, it's p...
How are melanoma cells different from other cancer cells?
Philip A. Friedlander, MDPhilip A. Friedlander, MD
Melanoma cells can be hard to eradicate—and even after successful treatment, risk of recurrence rema...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?