How common is polypoid melanoma?

Polypoid melanoma is a relatively uncommon subtype of nodular melanoma. It's difficult to determine the exact number of cases of polypoid melanoma since it's a rare subtype of nodular melanoma. Nodular melanoma is the second most common type of melanoma. In all, there are about 60,000 new cases of melanoma diagnosed each year in the United States. Nodular melanoma accounts for about 15% of those melanoma cases. Talk to your doctor if you think you have symptoms of polypoid melanoma.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

How are melanoma cells different from other cancer cells?
Philip A. Friedlander, MDPhilip A. Friedlander, MD
Melanoma cells can be hard to eradicate—and even after successful treatment, risk of recurrence rema...
What is melanoma?
Dr. Arthur W. Perry, MDDr. Arthur W. Perry, MD
Melanomas are the most ominous type of skin cancer. They can grow spontaneously or can arise from mo...
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?