How common is desmoplastic melanoma?

Desmoplastic melanoma is a very rare type of melanoma. In all, there are about 60,000 new cases of melanoma diagnosed each year in the United States. Desmoplastic melanoma accounts for only about 2% of those melanoma cases. It's most common in males over the age of 60, and it commonly occurs in conjunction with lentigo maligna, another skin disease.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What is melanoma?
Dr. Arthur W. Perry, MDDr. Arthur W. Perry, MD
Melanomas are the most ominous type of skin cancer. They can grow spontaneously or can arise from mo...
Why is melanoma the most common form of cancer in young adults?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Melanoma is the most common form of cancer in people aged 25 to 29 and second (to Hodgkin's lymphoma...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?