How common is amelanotic melanoma?

Though it's not very common, the exact number of cases of amelanotic melanoma is very difficult to determine because almost any type of melanoma may be amelanotic. This is because the term simply describes the characteristics of the growth - they are amelanotic, or without melanin, meaning they're lacking pigment and are usually flesh colored. In general, more than 60,000 people are diagnosed with melanoma every year in the United States. The number of new melanoma cases is increasing each year.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

How can I reduce my risk of dying from melanoma?
If you want to cut your risk of fatal melanoma, make an appointment with the mirror. Research sh...
What is amelanotic melanoma?
Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MDDr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
Amelanotic melanoma often appears as a lesion without color, irregular borders, and a small amount o...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?