How common is acral lentiginous melanoma?

In general, acral lentiginous melanoma is not a very common type of melanoma. In all, there are about 60,000 new cases of melanoma diagnosed each year in the United States. Acral lentiginous melanoma accounts for only about 5 to 10% of those melanoma cases. However, among African American, Latin American, Native American, and Asian people, it's the most common type of melanoma. Among people with dark skin, acral lentiginous melanoma accounts for about 50% of all melanoma cases.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What are the treatment options for uveal melanoma?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Treatment options for uveal melanoma depend on several factors, including the size and location of t...
What factors affect my prognosis with melanoma?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
The prognosis (chance of recovery) and treatment options depend on the following:The stage of melano...
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?