How can I apply sunscreen to prevent melanoma?

While sunscreen isn't the only preventative measure you should use to protect yourself from melanoma, it is an important aspect of skin protection. Sunscreen should be liberally applied to all areas of skin that will be exposed to sun 20 to 30 minutes before exposure. Reapply every few hours, especially if you're exercising or swimming. Make sure you use a sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 15 or higher. Also, look for sunscreens that are "broad spectrum," since they protect against both kinds of harmful ultraviolet rays (UVA and UVB).

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Where You’re Not Applying Sunscreen—But Should
Think you’re covered when it comes to sunscreen? Surprise: most of us aren’t using it appropriately. One study showed that most people apply only 25-5...
How can I reduce my risk of dying from melanoma?
If you want to cut your risk of fatal melanoma, make an appointment with the mirror. Research sh...
What are the treatment options for uveal melanoma?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Treatment options for uveal melanoma depend on several factors, including the size and location of t...
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?