How can I apply sunscreen to prevent melanoma?

While sunscreen isn't the only preventative measure you should use to protect yourself from melanoma, it is an important aspect of skin protection. Sunscreen should be liberally applied to all areas of skin that will be exposed to sun 20 to 30 minutes before exposure. Reapply every few hours, especially if you're exercising or swimming. Make sure you use a sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 15 or higher. Also, look for sunscreens that are "broad spectrum," since they protect against both kinds of harmful ultraviolet rays (UVA and UVB).

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What do I need to know about caring for someone with melanoma?
If you are caring for someone with melanoma, it is very important to help that person follow medical...
What are my chances of surviving melanoma?
Jill Onesti, MDJill Onesti, MD
The chance of surviving melanoma depends on how early the melanoma is discovered. Thin melanomas, ty...
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?