How does amelanotic melanoma affect the body?

Amelanotic melanoma begins with the overproduction of certain skin cells called melanocytes. This cell overproduction usually leads to a new skin growth that appears out of nowhere. Even though the start of this disease is related to the cells that produce pigment, these growths may not have any pigment at all, or they may be light pink, white, or red. The lesions can be found anywhere on the body, including internal mucous membranes and other unusual areas like the nail beds. If left untreated, amelanotic melanoma can spread quickly to other parts of the body.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Regular Doctor Visits May Help You Survive Skin Cancer
You may be able to outlive melanoma—the most serious type of skin cancer—by doing one simple thing: seeing your doctor regularly. Find top doctors in...
What determines how deep melanoma is?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
The Clark levels are used to describe how deep the melanoma has spread into the skin:     • Lev...
What is malignant melanoma?
Audrey Kunin, MDAudrey Kunin, MD
Malignant melanoma arises from skin growths known as nevi, or "moles" as they are more commonly know...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?