How does amelanotic melanoma affect the body?

Amelanotic melanoma begins with the overproduction of certain skin cells called melanocytes. This cell overproduction usually leads to a new skin growth that appears out of nowhere. Even though the start of this disease is related to the cells that produce pigment, these growths may not have any pigment at all, or they may be light pink, white, or red. The lesions can be found anywhere on the body, including internal mucous membranes and other unusual areas like the nail beds. If left untreated, amelanotic melanoma can spread quickly to other parts of the body.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

How common is melanoma?
Jenny C. Hu, MDJenny C. Hu, MD
About one American dies of melanoma almost every hour, and one in 69 people will be diagnosed with t...
What is malignant melanoma?
By far the deadliest form of skin cancer, malignant melanoma begins in the melanocytes, the cell...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?