How is acral lentiginous melanoma diagnosed?

The first step of diagnosing acral lentiginous melanoma usually involves a visual inspection. Acral lentiginous melanoma is often diagnosed later than other types of melanoma because it takes longer for a person to notice the symptoms. This is due to the fact that they often form in "hidden" areas (palms, soles, nail beds, and mucous membranes), and also because the lesions often resemble bruises so people don't think there's a need to have them looked at by a doctor. Once they are noticed, a doctor will first visually examine the growth, and if acral lentiginous melanoma is suspected, a biopsy will usually be performed. This procedure involves removing all or part of the growth and analyzing it under a microscope.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Can children get melanoma?
Jill Onesti, MDJill Onesti, MD
It is very rare for children to develop melanoma, however it is possible. If you have a family histo...
How does melanoma affect the body?
Jill Onesti, MDJill Onesti, MD
Melanoma is a cancer that begins in the skin. If caught at an early stage, removal of the melanoma c...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?