How does acral lentiginous melanoma affect the body?

The cause of acral lentiginous melanoma is thought to be tied to the overproduction of certain skin cells called melanocytes, which are the cells that produce skin pigment. This cell overgrowth usually starts as a new skin lesion that's usually irregularly-shaped and may be tan, brown, or black. Generally, these lesions are found in "hidden" areas, such as the mucous membranes, palms, soles, and nail beds. As they grow, they may thicken, but they can also remain completely flat. If they're found in mucous membranes, lesions may cause bleeding. If they occur in nail beds, the lesions may cause colored streaks across the nail, and the nail may separate from the nail bed. Acral lentiginous melanoma progresses very quickly, and if it's not diagnosed early, the cancer can spread rapidly through the skin.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What factors affect my prognosis with melanoma?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
The prognosis (chance of recovery) and treatment options depend on the following:The stage of melano...
Can I develop melanoma on parts of my body that do not get sun?
While it's most common for melanomas to develop on areas of skin that are exposed to the sun, it's p...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?