How does acral lentiginous melanoma affect the body?

The cause of acral lentiginous melanoma is thought to be tied to the overproduction of certain skin cells called melanocytes, which are the cells that produce skin pigment. This cell overgrowth usually starts as a new skin lesion that's usually irregularly-shaped and may be tan, brown, or black. Generally, these lesions are found in "hidden" areas, such as the mucous membranes, palms, soles, and nail beds. As they grow, they may thicken, but they can also remain completely flat. If they're found in mucous membranes, lesions may cause bleeding. If they occur in nail beds, the lesions may cause colored streaks across the nail, and the nail may separate from the nail bed. Acral lentiginous melanoma progresses very quickly, and if it's not diagnosed early, the cancer can spread rapidly through the skin.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Want the Best Sunscreen? What You Need to Know
Summer's here. And who isn't cheering? But before you spin vintage Beach Boys vinyl or park your towel in a sunny spot, we have a public service annou...
How can I reduce my risk of dying from melanoma?
If you want to cut your risk of fatal melanoma, make an appointment with the mirror. Research sh...
How does melanoma affect the body?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Melanoma is caused by the overproduction of certain skin cells called melanocytes. This cell overgro...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?