What factors affect my prognosis with melanoma?

The prognosis (chance of recovery) and treatment options depend on the following:

The stage of melanoma (whether cancer is found in the outer layer of skin only, or has spread to the lymph nodes, or to other places in the body Whether there was bleeding or ulceration at the primary site The location and size of the tumor The patient's general health

Although many people are successfully treated, melanoma can recur (come back).

This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Tell Me Why ... My Mole Grew Back
Tell Me Why ... My Mole Grew Back
People get moles removed for a handful of reasons. Sometimes it’s purely cosmetic, other times it’s because the mole shows signs of potential skin can...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with melanoma?
If you are caring for someone with melanoma, it is very important to help that person follow medical...
How does melanoma spread?
Ross M. Levy, MDRoss M. Levy, MD
The ability of a melanoma to spread is dependent on a number of factors, some of which we know a...
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?