Does uveal melanoma run in families?

The risk for uveal melanoma does not necessarily run in families. Though other types of melanoma may be influenced by family history, uveal melanoma does not seem to be passed down through genes specifically. However, other genetic risk factors, such as fair skin and blue eyes, do tend to run in families. In that sense, family history may indirectly increase your risk.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What is malignant melanoma?
By far the deadliest form of skin cancer, malignant melanoma begins in the melanocytes, the cell...
Can I develop melanoma on parts of my body that do not get sun?
While it's most common for melanomas to develop on areas of skin that are exposed to the sun, it's p...
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?