How does a doctor perform a biopsy to test for melanoma?

If the doctor suspects melanoma, a biopsy will be performed. A biopsy is a test that involves removing the growth and analyzing it under a microscope. The method of biopsy depends on the size and shape of the growth. If it's a small mole or growth, the doctor will try to remove the whole growth in what's called an excisional biopsy. If the growth is larger, a doctor will usually remove only a part of the growth. This is called an incisional biopsy. Doctors may use local anesthetic if necessary for either type of biopsy. Once the tissue is removed, the doctor will send it to a lab to determine whether melanoma is present.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Got Ulcerative Colitis? Make Sure to Protect Your Skin
As if dealing with diarrhea, stomach pain and fatigue wasn’t hard enough, there’s another major concern for people with ulcerative colitis, a type of ...
How often should I have my skin checked for melanoma?
Alice DomarAlice Domar
There is no good data proving that skin checks reduce the risk of death by melanoma, so whether ...
What are the symptoms of melanoma?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Symptoms of melanoma are growths on the skin. These growths usually appear as a change in a mole tha...
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?