How does a doctor perform a biopsy to test for melanoma?

If the doctor suspects melanoma, a biopsy will be performed. A biopsy is a test that involves removing the growth and analyzing it under a microscope. The method of biopsy depends on the size and shape of the growth. If it's a small mole or growth, the doctor will try to remove the whole growth in what's called an excisional biopsy. If the growth is larger, a doctor will usually remove only a part of the growth. This is called an incisional biopsy. Doctors may use local anesthetic if necessary for either type of biopsy. Once the tissue is removed, the doctor will send it to a lab to determine whether melanoma is present.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What determines how deep melanoma is?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
The Clark levels are used to describe how deep the melanoma has spread into the skin:     • Lev...
Can children get melanoma?
Jill Onesti, MDJill Onesti, MD
It is very rare for children to develop melanoma, however it is possible. If you have a family histo...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?