Can uveal melanoma be prevented?

Because not much is known about the causes of uveal melanoma, there is not much that can be done to prevent it. There may be an association between sun exposure and the development of uveal melanoma, so limiting exposure to ultraviolet rays may help prevent the disease. It's a good idea to wear sunglasses that shield from both UVA and UVB rays when outside. Also, since uveal melanoma is commonly found during routine eye exams, it's important to get yearly checkups with an eye doctor, especially if you're older.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Why is melanoma the most common form of cancer in young adults?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Melanoma is the most common form of cancer in people aged 25 to 29 and second (to Hodgkin's lymphoma...
How does melanoma spread?
Ross M. Levy, MDRoss M. Levy, MD
The ability of a melanoma to spread is dependent on a number of factors, some of which we know a...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?