Can uveal melanoma affect other parts of my body?

If uveal melanoma goes untreated, it may spread to other parts of the body. Sometimes, especially if the tumor is large, cancerous cells may leave the eyes and travel through the bloodstream, lymph vessels, or surrounding tissue and cause problems elsewhere in the body. With uveal melanoma, this process-called metastasis-most commonly affects the optic nerve and eye socket, but can also affect the bones, lungs, and liver. If uveal melanoma is caught early, treatment can reduce the chances of it spreading.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Melanoma Diagnosis More Deadly for Men than Women
Looks like science has found another reason for guys to slather on the sunscreen—according to a study, young men are 55 percent more likely to die fro...
Where does melanoma occur?
Jenny C. Hu, MDJenny C. Hu, MD
Men tend to get melanomas on the trunk, back and chest areas. Women tend to get melanomas on the leg...
What are my chances of surviving melanoma?
Dr. Philip A. Friedlander, MDDr. Philip A. Friedlander, MD
For stage IV metastatic melanoma, life expectancy is around 8 to 10 months. In this video, Philip Fr...
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?