Can uveal melanoma affect other parts of my body?

If uveal melanoma goes untreated, it may spread to other parts of the body. Sometimes, especially if the tumor is large, cancerous cells may leave the eyes and travel through the bloodstream, lymph vessels, or surrounding tissue and cause problems elsewhere in the body. With uveal melanoma, this process-called metastasis-most commonly affects the optic nerve and eye socket, but can also affect the bones, lungs, and liver. If uveal melanoma is caught early, treatment can reduce the chances of it spreading.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

How can I reduce my risk of dying from melanoma?
If you want to cut your risk of fatal melanoma, make an appointment with the mirror. Research sh...
Will melanoma surgery leave a scar?
Jill Onesti, MDJill Onesti, MD
Melanoma surgery does leave a scar. Treatment of the original lesion on the skin consists of a "wide...
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?