Can all types of melanoma be amelanotic?

Almost any type of melanoma can be amelanotic, since that term simply means "without melanin," or colorless. When a melanoma growth is amelanotic, it is flesh-colored, pink, red, or white like a scar. The subtypes that are most commonly amelanotic are desmoplastic melanoma and lentigo maligna, although acral lentiginous melanoma that develops underneath the nails is another common manifestation that's often amelanotic. Because so many types of melanoma can be amelanotic, it's important to frequently check the skin all over your body for irregular flesh-colored growths.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Regular Doctor Visits May Help You Survive Skin Cancer
You may be able to outlive melanoma—the most serious type of skin cancer—by doing one simple thing: seeing your doctor regularly. Find top doctors in...
What is melanoma?
Melanoma is the least common but most aggressive of the three most common types of skin cancer. Mela...
How are melanoma cells different from other cancer cells?
Philip A. Friedlander, MDPhilip A. Friedlander, MD
Melanoma cells can be hard to eradicate—and even after successful treatment, risk of recurrence rema...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?