Can all types of melanoma be amelanotic?

Almost any type of melanoma can be amelanotic, since that term simply means "without melanin," or colorless. When a melanoma growth is amelanotic, it is flesh-colored, pink, red, or white like a scar. The subtypes that are most commonly amelanotic are desmoplastic melanoma and lentigo maligna, although acral lentiginous melanoma that develops underneath the nails is another common manifestation that's often amelanotic. Because so many types of melanoma can be amelanotic, it's important to frequently check the skin all over your body for irregular flesh-colored growths.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Can children get melanoma?
Jill Onesti, MDJill Onesti, MD
It is very rare for children to develop melanoma, however it is possible. If you have a family histo...
What are the treatment options for stage 4 melanoma?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Treatment for stage 4 melanoma is usually more aggressive than earlier stages, because the cancer ha...
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?