Can polypoid melanoma be prevented?

Though not much is known about its specific causes, there are some things you can do to help prevent polypoid melanoma. Because polypoid melanoma may be related to sun exposure, you should limit the time you spend in the sun. If you can't avoid sun exposure, make sure you wear sunscreen with a high sun protection factor (SPF) that blocks both UVA and UVB rays. Also, make sure to check your skin often - everyone should look out for new skin growths on their own body, but people at a high risk for melanoma should see a doctor for frequent skin screenings. Don't be afraid to see your doctor about something that seems harmless - if you notice anything unusual on your skin where there was nothing before, it's best to see your doctor.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Ask the Expert: Breaking Down SPF
Ask the Expert: Breaking Down SPF
We all know that wearing sunscreen is one of the best ways to protect ourselves from skin cancer, especially if we’re headed out for a long day in the...
Can I develop melanoma on parts of my body that do not get sun?
While it's most common for melanomas to develop on areas of skin that are exposed to the sun, it's p...
What determines how deep melanoma is?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
The Clark levels are used to describe how deep the melanoma has spread into the skin:     • Lev...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?