Can nodular melanoma be prevented?

Though not much is known about its specific causes, there are some things you can do to help prevent nodular melanoma. Because nodular melanoma may be related to sun exposure, you should limit the time you spend in the sun. If you cannot avoid sun exposure, make sure you wear sunscreen with a high sun protection factor (SPF) that blocks both UVA and UVB rays. Protect the skin by wearing a hat and clothing that covers your arms and legs. Also, make sure to check your skin often -- everyone should look out for changes in moles and skin growths on his or her body, but people at a high risk of melanoma should see a doctor for frequent skin screenings. Don't be afraid to see your doctor about something that seems harmless -- if you notice anything unusual on your skin where there was nothing before, it is best to see your doctor.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Can melanoma occur on the feet?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
The last place you might think to check for a suspicious mole is the soles of your feet, but mos...
Will melanoma surgery leave a scar?
Jill Onesti, MDJill Onesti, MD
Melanoma surgery does leave a scar. Treatment of the original lesion on the skin consists of a "wide...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?