Can mucosal melanoma be prevented?

Since not much is known about its causes, there are few things you can do to prevent mucosal melanoma. Because mucosal melanoma often affects less-visible places, it's important to check for skin changes in those areas that you can see, such as the inside of the mouth and, for females, the genitalia. Also, make sure you have frequent check-ups with a dentist and gynecologist, since those examinations may help detect mucosal melanoma earlier than you would on your own.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What are the different types of melanoma?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
The most common form of melanoma is superficial spreading. It represents 70% of all cases as it spre...
What is the survival rate for melanoma of the foot?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Since melanoma of the foot is usually noticed late by patients, and more likely to be misdiagnos...
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?